Ross Family in St. Helens

https://sites.google.com/a/colcomuseum.org/columbia-county-museum-association/170-columbia-blvd/170-columbia-blvd/170%20Columbia%20Blvd%20William%20Ross%20home%20with%20descip.jpg?attredirects=0  
  

Edwin Ross

Source: History of the Columbia River Valley From The Dalles to the Sea, Vol. III,
Published 1928, Pages 455 - 456
Author: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
EDWIN ROSS, M. D. One of St. Helen's most highly esteemed citizens is
Dr. Edwin Ross, who for many years has been engaged in the practice of
medicine, in which he has been more than ordinarily successful and has been
active and influential in matters affecting the wellbeing of the community.
Dr. Ross was born in Fayette county, Iowa, on the 31st of December, 1864, a
son of Levi and Mary (Morse) Ross, the former a native of Vermont and the
latter of Maine, while both were of Scotch descent. His father, who was a
farmer, moved to Wisconsin in 1865 and there followed agricultural pursuits
until his death, which occurred in 1879. His wife died in 1875. To them were
born seven children: William M., who died at St. Helens, Oregon; Joseph, who
lives in Wisconsin; Mrs. Jennie Grimes, deceased; Mrs. Dora Barker, deceased;
Edwin; Mrs. Hattie Synstegard, of Wisconsin; and E. A., who is engaged in the
furniture business in St. Helens.
Edwin Ross attended the public schools of Wisconsin, to which state the
family moved when he was about one year old. He was also a student in Beloit
College, at Beloit, Wisconsin, and in 1887 came to Oregon, locating at
Pendleton, where he worked as a clerk in a drug store. In the fall of 1888 he
went to Portland and took a course in pharmacy, and two years later located in
St. Helens, at which time the town had a population of about two hundred and
fifty. Here he opened a drug store and in the meantime attended the medical
school of the University of Oregon at Portland, being graduated with the
degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1894. He entered upon the active practice of
his profession at St. Helens, also continuing the drug business until his
store was destroyed by fire in 1904, since which time he has confined his
attention to his medical practice. Well educated, with a thorough knowledge of
the properties of drugs and an accurate diagnostician, he has rendered
valuable service to his community and has not only enjoyed a large and
lucrative practice, but has held a high place in the confidence of the public.
Together with his brother, William Ross, the Doctor aided in organizing the
first bank in Columbia county, known as the Columbia county bank, and erected
the bank building of native stone. He is now president of the First National
Bank of St. Helens.
In 1903 Dr. Ross married Miss Matilda Muckle, who is a native of
Tennessee and a daughter of Robert and Mary Elizabeth (Davis) Muckle. Her
father was born in Canada and her mother at McConnell, Tennessee, in the manor
house on the old Southerland plantation which consisted of thousands of acres
taken up from the United States government in the early days when that portion
of the state was a wilderness, the property remaining in the family for five
generations. The parents of Mrs. Ross died in McConnell, Tennessee, and at the
age of eight she came to Oregon to live with her uncle, the late Charles
Muckle, of St. Helens, who in partnership with his brother, James Muckle,
owned the sawmill and had extensive timber holdings, the brothers being
prominently identified with the upbuilding of St. Helens through their
business interests and other connections. They owned a sawmill, a store and a
hotel and were prominent in the early affairs of the community.
Dr. and Mrs. Ross have a daughter and a son, Harriet, born in Portland,
completed the high school course at St. Helens and then pursued the courses of
Art and Education in the University of Oregon being graduated with the B. A.
degree in 1927. She was married June 14, 1927, to Douglas Wright of Portland,
where they now reside. Charles M., born in St. Helens, graduated from the high
school here, and is now a student in Pacific University, at Forest Grove,
Oregon.
The Doctor is a member of St. Helens Lodge, No. 32, A. F. & A. M., of
which he is a past master; Avon Lodge, No. 62, K. P., and the Woodmen of the
World, and he and his wife are members of the Order of the Eastern Star. They
reside at "Tanglewood on the Columbia" one of the most attractive homes in the
town, located on the bank of the river, and noted for the beautiful flowers
and shrubs which are cultivated by Mrs. Ross, who is an ardent lover of
flowers. They have long occupied an enviable position in St. Helens where they
have an extensive circle of friends. Through his professional activities Dr.
Ross has long rendered valuable services to his fellowmen and is still the
loved family physician in many households.

Dr. L.G. Ross

Dr. Levi Gilbert Ross Biography
Dr. Levi Gilbert Ross, physician and surgeon, who for many years has acted as city and
county health officer, was born in October, 1879, in Avon, Wisconsin. His father,
William M. Ross, though not a pioneer of Oregon's early days, was certainly a pioneer
in the commercial growth of the state. He located in St. Helens in 1905 and organized
the Columbia County Bank the following year. He was elected its president and served
in this capacity until his death in 1916. Under his guidance the bank, now the oldest in
the county, prospered and during his incumbency as president the present handsome
bank building was erected. Next to the County courthouse it is the most attractive
block in the city and is built entirely of St. Helens rock.
Dr. Ross began his education in the grade schools of Janesville, Wisconsin. Later he
worked his way through college, graduating from the Northwestern Medical University
in 1907, with the degree of M. D., and came immediately to Oregon. Determining not
to be a burden to his parents while obtaining his medical education, he worked at
various jobs to obtain the necessary funds. He taught in the State Industrial School,
served as a waiter during vacations, and for one year served under the railroad
surgeon in the construction camps at Huntington. Later he served at the Good
Samaritan Hospital, where he met the charming young woman who later became his
wife. Since coming to St. Helens Dr. Ross has through his ability as a physician
advanced to the very forefront of his profession, while as a citizen his record is as
good as his professional standing. He attempted to enter the medical corps for war
service but was debarred by the government's decision to decline enlistments from all
health officers, on the ground that their services were needed at home. Devoting his
efforts solely to his profession, he has steadily declined to hold public officer and has
built up a very large practice in this section. Dr. Ross specializes in gynecology and
obstetrics and has attained fame in that branch of medical science.
During his work at the Good Samaritan Hospital Dr. Ross became acquainted with Miss
Vena E. Shaffer, a native of Ohio, who was taking the trained nurse's course in the
hospital. They were married in 1911, and have become the parents of one child, John
Morse, named after the distinguished inventor of the telegraph, who is one of his
forbears.
Dr. and Mrs. Ross are both prominent in social and club circles in the city. During the
war Mrs. Ross organized a class in nursing and instructed a number of young women
for war service. Dr. Ross was the physical examiner of all enlistments and county
chairman of the Red Cross drives. He is a director of the Columbia County Bank and is
an active member of the Chamber of Commerce. He is superintendent of the
Methodist Sunday school and prominent in church and social affairs. Fraternally Dr.
Ross is a Mason and holds membership with the Knights of Pythias and the Modern
Woodmen. He is a man of high personal worth as well as marked professional ability.
From:
History of Oregon Illistrated
Vol. 3
BY: Charles H. Carney
The Pioneer Historical Publishing Company

    
  
  
https://docs.google.com/a/colcomuseum.org/file/d/0B2ymQ0Zr7o6aSy1HZjIzZUZBQjA/edit

LG Ross

Source: History of the Columbia River Valley From The Dalles to the Sea, Vol. III, Published 1928, Pages 35-36
Author: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company

     High on the list of the able and successful physicians of the Columbia 
River valley stands the name of Dr. Levi G. Ross, of St. Helens, Oregon, where 
he has been engaged in the practice of his profession continuously since 1910. 
He was born at Avon, Wisconsin, in October, 1879, and is a son of William M. 
and Clara (Ross) Ross, who though of the same name were not related. His 
father was reared to the life of a farmer in Wisconsin, but later turned his 
attention to educational affairs, teaching school for a number of years and 
serving as county superintendent of schools of Rock county, that state. Later 
he went to Janesville, Wisconsin, where he was employed in newspaper work on 
the staff of the Janesville Gazette for several years. In 1905 he came to St. 
Helens, Oregon, and, liking the appearance of the place, made a few 
investments. In 1906 he established the first bank in Columbia county, known 
as the Columbia County Bank, of which he was the first president and cashier. 
A few years later he established a bank at Scappoose, Oregon. He was greatly 
interested in the development of St. Helens, serving as mayor and on the city 
council. His death occurred October 17, 1916. He was married twice, by the 
first union having two children, Levi Gilbert, of this review, and Mrs. Amy 
Knutson, of Hadley, Minnesota. By his second marriage he became the father of 
two children, Harold, who enlisted for service in the World war and died at 
Vancouver Barracks from the "flu," and Dr. Cecil J., who is engaged in the 
practice of medicine in Portland, Oregon.

     Levi G. Ross received his early education in the public schools of 
Janesville, Wisconsin, after which he matriculated in the medical school of 
Northwestern University, at Chicago, from which he was graduated with the 
degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1907. He paid his own way through college by 
working at various occupations. He then came to Portland, Oregon, where he 
served one year as interne in the Good Samaritan Hospital, and in 1908 went to 
Huntington, Baker county, Oregon, where he was associated with Dr. William 
Spencer for two years. In 1910 Dr. Ross came to St. Helens, where he has met 
with notable success as physician and surgeon, specializing in gynecology and 
obstetrics. He rendered a distinct and appreciated service to this section of 
the country when, in 1925, he built and equipped St. Helens general hospital, 
which in all respects is modern, having the latest medical and surgical 
appliances. Sincerely devoted to his profession, and with a profound sympathy 
for the sick and afflicted, he has proven well worthy of the confidence and 
respect in which he is held throughout the community. Dr. Levi G. Ross has 
been county health officer of Columbia county, Oregon, since 1910, and is now 
the oldest health officer in point of continuous service, in the state.

     On August 31, 1911, in Montana, Dr. Ross was united in marriage to Miss 
Verna E. Shaffer, who is a native of Indiana and whom he first met in the Good 
Samaritan Hospital, from which she later graduated in nursing. Dr. and Mrs. 
Ross are the parents of one child, John Morse, born February 11, 1916, the 
name Morse being after the inventor of the telegraph, who was of this same 
blood. Dr. and Mrs. Ross are also bringing up Frances Ann Ross, born April 25, 
1923, of whom they are legal guardians. The Doctor is a member of St. Helens 
Lodge No. 32, A. F. & A. M.; St. Helens Chapter, No. 53, R. A. M.; and Avon 
Lodge, No. 62, K. P. He also belongs to the Kiwanis Club and the Chamber of 
Commerce. He is a member of the board of education and is a director of the 
Columbia County Bank, which was established by his father. He is an active 
member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he is a steward and is also 
a member of the choir, in which he takes an active interest. During the World 
war he was the physical examiner of all enlistments and was county chairman of 
the Red Cross drives, and Mrs. Ross organized a class in nursing and 
instructed a number of young women for war service. Dr. Ross possesses a 
genial and kindly manner, calculated to inspire confidence on the part of his 
patients, and all who have come in contact with him hold him in the highest 
measure of regard.

Dr. Edwin Ross home "Tanglewood on the Columbia"

Home of Edwin and Matilda Ross. Rear portion of house may have been used for patients and was destroyed by fire. 
Home of Edwin and Matilda Ross. Rear portion of house may have been used for patients and was destroyed by fire.

Charles Ross Interview

The gadget spec URL could not be found

E Adin Ross

b. 12/16/74 Avon, Wisconsin
d. 1943  St. Helens, Oregon (Bayview Cemetery)
Moved to Oregon in 1910

Entered insurance business in 1933
Residence 205 N 3rd St., St. Helens, Oregon

Family History Excerpt

Ross Birthday Book abstract

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ymQ0Zr7o6aYzdaMGtWQnlrYUU/edit?usp=sharing

WW I Era letters



Aunt Tillie's soft bosom and other memories of Margaret Ross Matheson,

 Matilda Muckle Ross

large woman who gave the best hug of her life.  It was like floating on a cloud as she told me everything would be OK.

famous family gatherings 4th of July dinners

Flower girl for Edwin and Matilda's daughter Harriet's wedding on the Columbia with fabric walkway from river to house for reception.

Father Cecil's escapades riding horse down DeSpains hill that died in route.