Ross Family in St. Helens

Dr. Ross times two

There were two  Ross men who were physicians;  Edwin and LG.  There were two Ross brothers in St. Helens;  Edwin and William.  Edwin arrived in St. Helens first (1890).  William arrived  in 1905.  LG, son of William, joined his uncle and father around 1907.  It is likely that all three  lived within a block of each other, and perhaps EA was nearby too.  They all seem to have had their businesses and/or practices in the Bank bldg. on the Plaza after the building was enlarged.


Edwin's son, EA Ross is listed as a furniture manufacturer.     Yes - and he made coffins and was an undertaker.

Dr. LG Ross

Dr. Levi Gilbert Ross, physician and surgeon, who for many years has acted as city and county health officer, was born in October, 1879, in Avon, Wisconsin. His father, William M. Ross, though not a pioneer of Oregon's early days, was certainly a pioneer in the commercial growth of the state. He located in St. Helens in 1905 and organized the Columbia County Bank the following year. He was elected its president and served in this capacity until his death in 1916. Under his guidance the bank, now the oldest in the county, prospered and during his incumbency as president the present handsome bank building was erected. Next to the County courthouse it is the most attractive block in the city and is built entirely of St. Helens rock.

Dr. Ross began his education in the grade schools of Janesville, Wisconsin. Later he worked his way through college, graduating from the Northwestern Medical University in 1907, with the degree of M. D., and came immediately to Oregon. Determining not to be a burden to his parents while obtaining his medical education, he worked at various jobs to obtain the necessary funds. He taught in the State Industrial School, served as a waiter during vacations, and for one year served under the railroad surgeon in the construction camps at Huntington. Later he served at the Good Samaritan Hospital, where he met the charming young woman who later became his wife. Since coming to St. Helens Dr. Ross has through his ability as a physician advanced to the very forefront of his profession, while as a citizen his record is as good as his professional standing. He attempted to enter the medical corps for war service but was debarred by the government's decision to decline enlistments from all health officers, on the ground that their services were needed at home. Devoting his efforts solely to his profession, he has steadily declined to hold public officer and has built up a very large practice in this section. Dr. Ross specializes in gynecology and obstetrics and has attained fame in that branch of medical science.

During his work at the Good Samaritan Hospital Dr. Ross became acquainted with Miss Vena E. Shaffer, a native of Ohio, who was taking the trained nurse's course in the hospital. They were married in 1911, and have become the parents of one child, John Morse, named after the distinguished inventor of the telegraph, who is one of his forbears.

Dr. and Mrs. Ross are both prominent in social and club circles in the city. During the war Mrs. Ross organized a class in nursing and instructed a number of young women for war service. Dr. Ross was the physical examiner of all enlistments and county chairman of the Red Cross drives. He is a director of the Columbia County Bank and is an active member of the Chamber of Commerce. He is superintendent of the Methodist Sunday school and prominent in church and social affairs. Fraternally Dr. Ross is a Mason and holds membership with the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen. He is a man of high personal worth as well as marked professional ability.

History of Oregon Illustrated
Vol. 3
BY: Charles H. Carney
The Pioneer Historical Publishing Company
Chicago - Portland 1922


Dr. Edwin Ross

     EDWIN ROSS, M. D.  One of St. Helen's most highly esteemed citizens is 
Dr. Edwin Ross, who for many years has been engaged in the practice of 
medicine, in which he has been more than ordinarily successful and has been 
active and influential in matters affecting the wellbeing of the community. 
Dr. Ross was born in Fayette county, Iowa, on the 31st of December, 1864, a 
son of Levi and Mary (Morse) Ross, the former a native of Vermont and the 
latter of Maine, while both were of Scotch descent. His father, who was a 
farmer, moved to Wisconsin in 1865 and there followed agricultural pursuits 
until his death, which occurred in 1879. His wife died in 1875. To them were 
born seven children: William M., who died at St. Helens, Oregon; Joseph, who 
lives in Wisconsin; Mrs. Jennie Grimes, deceased; Mrs. Dora Barker, deceased; 
Edwin; Mrs. Hattie Synstegard, of Wisconsin; and E. A., who is engaged in the 
furniture business in St. Helens.

     Edwin Ross attended the public schools of Wisconsin, to which state the 
family moved when he was about one year old. He was also a student in Beloit 
College, at Beloit, Wisconsin, and in 1887 came to Oregon, locating at 
Pendleton, where he worked as a clerk in a drug store. In the fall of 1888 he 
went to Portland and took a course in pharmacy, and two years later located in 
St. Helens, at which time the town had a population of about two hundred and 
fifty. Here he opened a drug store and in the meantime attended the medical 
school of the University of Oregon at Portland, being graduated with the 
degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1894. He entered upon the active practice of 
his profession at St. Helens, also continuing the drug business until his 
store was destroyed by fire in 1904, since which time he has confined his 
attention to his medical practice. Well educated, with a thorough knowledge of 
the properties of drugs and an accurate diagnostician, he has rendered 
valuable service to his community and has not only enjoyed a large and 
lucrative practice, but has held a high place in the confidence of the public. 
Together with his brother, William Ross, the Doctor aided in organizing the 
first bank in Columbia county, known as the Columbia county bank, and erected 
the bank building of native stone. He is now president of the First National 
Bank of St. Helens.

     In 1903 Dr. Ross married Miss Matilda Muckle, who is a native of 
Tennessee and a daughter of Robert and Mary Elizabeth (Davis) Muckle. Her 
father was born in Canada and her mother at McConnell, Tennessee, in the manor 
house on the old Southerland plantation which consisted of thousands of acres 
taken up from the United States government in the early days when that portion 
of the state was a wilderness, the property remaining in the family for five 
generations. The parents of Mrs. Ross died in McConnell, Tennessee, and at the 
age of eight she came to Oregon to live with her uncle, the late Charles 
Muckle, of St. Helens, who in partnership with his brother, James Muckle, 
owned the sawmill and had extensive timber holdings, the brothers being 
prominently identified with the upbuilding of St. Helens through their 
business interests and other connections. They owned a sawmill, a store and a 
hotel and were prominent in the early affairs of the community.

     Dr. and Mrs. Ross have a daughter and a son, Harriet, born in Portland, 
completed the high school course at St. Helens and then pursued the courses of 
Art and Education in the University of Oregon being graduated with the B. A. 
degree in 1927. She was married June 14, 1927, to Douglas Wright of Portland, 
where they now reside. Charles M., born in St. Helens, graduated from the high 
school here, and is now a student in Pacific University, at Forest Grove, 
Oregon.

     The Doctor is a member of St. Helens Lodge, No. 32, A. F. & A. M., of 
which he is a past master; Avon Lodge, No. 62, K. P., and the Woodmen of the 
World, and he and his wife are members of the Order of the Eastern Star. They 
reside at "Tanglewood on the Columbia" one of the most attractive homes in the 
town, located on the bank of the river, and noted for the beautiful flowers 
and shrubs which are cultivated by Mrs. Ross, who is an ardent lover of 
flowers. They have long occupied an enviable position in St. Helens where they 
have an extensive circle of friends. Through his professional activities Dr. 
Ross has long rendered valuable services to his fellowmen and is still the 
loved family physician in many households.
Source: History of the Columbia River Valley From The Dalles to the Sea, Vol. III, Published 1928, Pages 455 - 456
Author: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company




Comments